there will a livestream (https://www.boell.de/livestream) and a recording.
Deliberate attacks on civilian infrastructure, indiscriminate bombings and the torture and execution of civilians are just some of the crimes committed by almost all conflict parties in Syria since 2011. Syrian activists have been documenting these crimes in order to one day bring those responsible to justice.
+++ Please register, if you want to intend our discussion, there aren’t many seats left: http://on.boell.de/fd +++
Now, the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR) and the Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung are bringing together survivors of torture and mass atrocities in Syria as well as Syrian lawyers, international activists and legal and political experts to discuss potential avenues for prosecution and the meaning of criminal accountability for the crimes committed in Syria. The speakers at the event in Berlin will include:
– James Rodehaver, UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic (Geneva)
– Andreas Krüger, German Foreign Office
– Anwar al Bounni, Syrian lawyer
– Mazen Darwish, Syrian lawyer
– Lotte Leicht, Human Rights Watch (Brussels)
– Chris Woods, Airwars (London)
– Bente Scheller, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung (Beirut)
– Wolfgang Kaleck, ECCHR (Berlin)
The event will be held in English and Arabic, with simultaneous translation.